Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nlroberts78  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 4:51:22 PM(UTC)
nlroberts78

Groups: Registered

Hello All,

I am new to the Houston area and now that the weather is nicer I will start hiking more often. I am looking for a place to hike where I can camp as I go. I really enjoy the overnight trips. Most places I have found are parks where you can camp in reserved location and day hike their trails. I am looking for something that I can hike and camp once I "reach" a designated camp or when I get fatigued and feel like stopping. I know there is 1.5 mile hike in and camp at Lake Houston Wilderness Center but I would like to also know the other places in the area where this is available. Also, does anyone have regular scheduled outings like this where a group of locals do things like this together?

Thank You,

Nick
Blaze  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 8:52:04 PM(UTC)
Blaze

Groups: Registered, TrustedUser

Hi Nick,

Welcome to Houston. I am in Houston, too. From what you've described, I'd recommend the Lone Star Hiking Trail. It's the longest trail in Texas and broken into sections. You can backpack and camp (for free) anywhere along the trail. It's in the Sam Houston National Forest about an hour, hour and a half North of Houston.

Some sections are currently closed, but most are open. More info and maps here.

Edited by user Monday, October 21, 2013 8:53:42 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
nlroberts78  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:08:23 PM(UTC)
nlroberts78

Lone Star,

Great information and thanks for the insight. I really apreciate the help and I look forward to learning more about this trail.

Happy Hiking,

Regards,

Nick
txpop  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:59:28 PM(UTC)
txpop

Night Hike

If you are interested in a group hike with others the Lone Star Hiking Trail Conservancy will be hosting a Full Moon Night Hike on the Lone Star Hiking Trail on July 12, 2014. We will meet at the LSHT Trailhead# 13 on FM 2666 (N 30 29.572 W 95 07.129) at 8:30PM
You need to bring headlamp and flashlights, sturdy boots/footwear, day pack, snacks, water, insect repellent. We will hike slower to avoid trips and falls from roots, etc. We will start at Trailhead# 13 and hike into the Big Creek Scenic Area, and loop back to trailhead# 13. A 5+ mile hike depending upon which loop trails we take in the Scenic Area. I've night hiked this section of trial twice before and walked right up on deer and other wildlife. Lots of fun.
Cost: Free
Location: LSHT Trailhead# 13 on FM 2666 (N 30 29.572 W 95 07.129)
Time: 8:30Pm
More Information: www.lshtconservancy.org or trailguide@lshtconservancy.org

Thanks,

txpop