Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
khwer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 2, 2017 10:08:19 PM(UTC)
khwer

Groups: Registered

My wife an I went often to Texas, for visiting friends, and for travelling, too. We've also made some short hikes in several beautiful state parks, but we don't know yet the mountain region in the west.
But we would like to know this region, and we are thinking about some more hiking at our next stay.
But we have only enough time for travelling during the summer holidays, and as we know quite well, it's very hot in Texas during July and August.
What we are interested to know: Are there any beautiful hiking spots in the Texan mountains, where it isn't as hot as in the plains? With supportable temperatures during summer, so that it will be possible to go for a longer hike?
Or is it generally not recommendable to hike anywhere in Texas for a longer time, in July and August?
Thanks to anybody, who can help us with useful hints.
Kurt, from Switzerland

Austin Explorer  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2017 3:30:18 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Kurt,

Both Big Bend and Guadalupe Mountains National Parks feature higher elevations that SHOULD provide some relief from the heat of the the lower elevations. This page of weather averages for Big Bend National Park refers to Panther Junction, only part way up the Chisos Mountain. According to the Big Bend website, temps are 5-10 degrees cooler at the top of the mountain than at the level of the Rio Grande, so a few degrees cooler than Panther Junction.

For acclimated Texans, highs of 30 degrees celsius shouldn't be much of a problem as long as they had a good supply of water. But not everyone is as comfortable in that as those who live it every day.

I think if you get a very early start and finish up early in the day you should be able to do all kinds of hikes, even at lower elevations. Even the desert can get cold at night. The key will be to not be stuck many miles from the trailhead at 3:00-5:00 PM in the relentless heat.
Robert
Blaze  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 1:36:28 AM(UTC)
Blaze

Groups: Registered, TrustedUser

Sorry, I'm just seeing this post now, a month late. As much as I love Texas, I, personally, wouldn't hike West Texas in the summer. Brutally hot, especially if you're not used to it. Instead, I would consider going to northern New Mexico and hiking the Enchanted Circle area (near Taos Ski Resort). In the Wheeler Peak area (highest point in NM), it'll be cooler, greener and very scenic. There you'll be at a higher elevation (up to 13,100 ft) whereas in Texas you can only get to 8.6k ft in an arid desert environment.
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star