Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ANdyGary  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 6:32:27 AM(UTC)
ANdyGary

Groups: Registered

I am planning a hiking this summer holiday, and want to purchase some flashlight for my classmates and me. DO you have any advice on the flashlight? What kind of flashlight is better? I searched some flashlight brands online including sure fire, streamlight, fenix, tank007, etc., do you know which one is better for us? Thanks for your suggestion .
Austin Explorer  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 10, 2015 3:05:38 PM(UTC)
Austin Explorer

Groups: Admin, Administrators, BetaUser, Registered, TrustedUser

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Do you want handheld or head mounted flashlights?
Robert
ANdyGary  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 9:37:26 AM(UTC)
ANdyGary

I tried headlamp before, for it make me uncomfortable, so, i need a flashlight.
JeanetteKiger  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 13, 2015 10:03:08 AM(UTC)
JeanetteKiger

Got one tank007 flashlight as camping lamp before. very bright, and they sent me one diffuser, just as candle when i was in the tent. Like it very much!
ANdyGary  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 7:30:37 AM(UTC)
ANdyGary

I have searched Tank007 flashlights online, which are little cheaper than other big brands, and they look good, but are they really good? Anyone else used their flashlight?

http://www.tank007.com/
Stedmanrecon  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:04:46 AM(UTC)
Stedmanrecon

Originally Posted by: ANdyGary Go to Quoted Post
DO you have any advice on the flashlight? What kind of flashlight is better?

I am new these forums, and judging from my past experience in some forums, my credibility here may need to be earned in front of some of the "old heads" here. So, I'm glad my first forum post on here will be relatively easy lol.

First of all, as one of the other members stated, you should figure out if you were looking for a light that you wear on your head or one that you would carry in your hand. I saw your response was that you weren't to fond of headlamps because it was not comfortable on your head.

I would suggest you continue trying the headlamps and see if you can get used to them. Usually, especially with the materials and technology used to make them today, if it is hurting when you are wearing it then it is most likely because you are not wearing it properly. There is always going to be a level of being uncomfortable when you start to wear something alien on your head. If the uncomfortable or hurting feeling does not go away, try to adjust the headlamp or move it (and the strap) to different places on your head. I would be willing to wager that if you put it on and wore it hiking, you would forget that it was on your head if it weren't for the light coming from it.

I suggest this because of how handy it is to have a headlamp instead of hand held light. A big reason I (and many other people) like them is because you don't have to hold it any your hand, and therefore, you can use both of your hands for whatever else you need them for (like messing with stuff in your pack, climbing up rocks or other obstacles, tying shoes... anything). My headlamp became one of my closest friends when I was in the Army. I really think that if you get a good one and try it out for a good bit, you will agree that headlamp is the way to go.

For a recommendation, I have to go with the Storm model from Black Diamond. You can get it at most outdoor outfitters that carry any gear from Black Diamond. It has a spotlight setting, floodlight setting, and strobe. Also has the red LEDs for when you need limited light. Each setting also allow you to dim or brighten the light. This thing seems pretty bombproof, and the battery life is pretty dang good, especially for 160 lumens.

As for handheld lights, I can only speak on the Surefire brand. However, my experience comes with the Surefire light that I had on my rifle and on my helmet when I was deployed to Iraq. Bright light? Heck yes. Battery life? Meh... Their lights and the batteries that usually are made to fit those lights can be pretty expensive. Especially since the batteries can't be bought everywhere.

All in all, dude. It is up to you and the performance you are wanting out of it, and what you are planning to do. I really do think that if you give the headlamps a decent shot, you will stick with them and even use them when you are back home and doing stuff around the house at night.

Good luck to ya, man.

Blaze  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 2:17:48 AM(UTC)
Blaze

Groups: Registered, TrustedUser

I've owned some nice, expensive flashlights in the past with a good throw, but I'm always looking to shave weight and simplify. I now either pack my headlamp (for hands-free operation) or use a small 3" LED flashlight that I got at the Dollar Store. It uses 3 AAA batteries and I use Eneloop rechargeables. I hardly ever need to recharge it and the flashlight provides enough light to navigate at night at very low weight and cost.
Happy Trails!
Lone_Star
ANdyGary  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 5:58:17 AM(UTC)
ANdyGary

Maybe I need a headlamp that does not make me uncomfortable. Thanks for your advice.
The Texan Camper  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 30, 2016 9:50:18 PM(UTC)
The Texan Camper

I suggest Thru-Nite handheld lights. they offer the best value for you. plus they are waterproof.